For more than thirty years, Michael has provided legal advice and lawsuit representation to clients all across the United States in both state and federal courts, most especially in the Midwest. His litigation experience ranges from matters which involved a few thousand dollars to complex multi-district suits requiring international discovery with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.
His work primarily focuses on business disputes, breach of contract and insurance coverage litigation, including property and casualty, auto, professional liability, and allegations of bad faith claim handling.
Michael has written and edited several publications on the relationship of insurance to the business world, including the following:
- Environmental Law in Illinois Corporate and Real Estate Transactions (co-author, Chapter 10 – ICLE 2007, updated 2011).
- Environmental Law for Transactional Attorneys, (co-author, Chapter 14 – ICLE 2001, 2005).
- The Insurer’s View of Coverage Claims Arising from Internet-Related Lawsuits (1998).
- Insurance Claims and the Construction Industry, (co-author & editor, Mid-American Press 1992).
- The Insurance Coverage Aspects of Environmental Claims, (co-author & editor, Mid-American Press 1991).
- Faulty Workmanship and the CGL policy, Construction Law Update (1992).
He has both trial court and appellate experience, having served as counsel in both federal and state court appeals. Certain reported decisions in which he participated are as follows:
- Nautilus Ins. Co. v. KGP, Inc., 966 F.Supp.2d 777 (N.D. Ill., 2013)
- Stopka v. American Family Mut. Ins. Co., 816 F.Supp.2d 516 (N.D. Ill., 2011)
- State Farm Fire v. Utica Nat. Ins., 873 N.E.2d 416 (Ill. App., 2007)
- Southeast Wisconsin v. Mitsubishi, 738 N.W.2d 87, 2007 WI App 185, 304 Wis.2d 637 (Wis. App., 2007)
- Hapag-Lloyd (America), Inc. v. Home Ins. Co., 729 N.E.2d 36, 312 Ill. App.3d 1087, 246 Ill.Dec. 36 (Ill. App., 2000)
- Home Ins. Co. v. Three I Truck Line, Inc., 95 F.Supp.2d 901 (N.D. Ill., 2000)
- Home Ins. Co. v. Three I Truck Line, Inc., 133 F.Supp.2d 673 (N.D. Ill., 1999)
- Home Ins. Co. v. Three I Truck Line, Inc., 59 F.Supp.2d 734 (N.D. Ill., 1999
- American Fire & Casualty v. Broeren Russo Corp., 54 F.Supp.2d 842 (C.D. Ill., 1999)
- Winklevoss Consultants, Inc. v. Federal Ins. Co., 11 F.Supp.2d 995 (N.D. Ill., 1998)
- Winklevoss Consultants, Inc. v. Federal Ins. Co., 991 F.Supp. 1024 (N.D. Ill., 1998)
- P. v. M.J.O., 640 N.E.2d 1323, 266 Ill.App.3d 1029, 203 Ill.Dec. 950 (Ill. App., 1994)
- Knaus Systems, Inc. v. General Cas. Reliance Ins. Co., 581 N.E.2d 184, 220 Ill.App.3d 793 (Ill. App., 1991)
- Waste Management, Inc. v. International Surplus Lines Ins. Co., 144 Ill.2d 178, 579 N.E.2d 322, 161 Ill.Dec. 774 (Ill., 1991)
- Waste Management, Inc. v. International Surplus Lines Ins. Co., 596 N.E.2d 726, 231 Ill.App.3d 619, 173 Ill.Dec. 102 (Ill. App., 1992)
- Waste Management, Inc. v. International Surplus Lines Ins. Co., 560 N.E.2d 1093, 203 Ill.App.3d 172 (Ill. App., 1990)
- Martin v. Government Employees Ins. Co., 565 N.E.2d 197, 206 Ill.App.3d 1031, 151 Ill.Dec. 926 (Ill. App., 1990)
- DeLuna v. St. Elizabeth’s Hosp., 540 N.E.2d 847, 184 Ill.App.3d 802, 132 Ill.Dec. 925 (Ill. App., 1989)
- Johnson v. Steiner, 534 N.E.2d 391, 179 Ill.App.3d 556, 128 Ill.Dec. 209 (Ill. App., 1988)
He obtained his law degree from DePaul University College of Law and his Bachelor’s degree from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He is admitted to the Illinois State Bar as well as the U.S. District Court for the Northern, Central and Southern districts of Illinois.